Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ain't it funny how time slips away

Today is the retirement party for my friend Meredith Fleming. She and I met at UC Berkeley when I was a young thing straight out of college. I've always worked in libraries, but my first "career" library job was at the Moffitt Undergraduate Library in 1983 and Meredith was a truly scary interviewer on the panel that hired me.


1997. I love how we match each other. Swanky!



I left UCB in 1998 and every few years she'll call or e-mail and we'll just pick up the conversation where we left it in 1998. There aren't that many friends one can do that with.

I love Meredith because even though our childhoods, our lives couldn't be more different, she saw the goodness in me and I saw the goodness in her and we became friends.

What I loved about her is that she would come to work every day in these incredibly high stiletto heels and most days, a hat. Snug-fitting dresses...she was The Bomb way before that was ever slang.

 Fifteen years we worked together.  I called her today to send her off with my love, she said that she was going to quote Al Green's song, "Funny How Time Slips Away" in her retirement speech. Indeed it does.

I'm so happy for her and I'm both deeply happy and deeply sad for all the life and death and happiness and disappointment that has happened in between all these intervening years. Here's to old friends and people who knew us when we were young. I love you Meredith. Thank you for being a friend to me. Clink!























No comments:

Post a Comment