Friday, December 16, 2011

All hail the Monarch

For, oh, at least 15 plus years now (!)  my friend Gary and I have met each December to go Christmas shopping in San Francisco. He used to be my boss at UC Berkeley; we worked together for many years. I called him "chief" and we had a great working partnership and stayed close friends.

(Note to self: resurrect "Dynasty" shoulder pads. Very slimming) 1997

This year we had lunch at Tartine on Guerrero street, which was delicious, shopped up and down Valencia Street, and finally had a pre-ferry boat/BART boarding cocktail at The House of Shields. It was fun to go to such an old-school SF bar. Gary had a Manhattan while I asked the bartender to make something light. He came up with delightful cocktail, lemony and lovely, and informed us it's a "Monarch" minus the mint. Naturally I had to recreate it at home, and quelle surprise, I had all the ingredients, thanks to my sister giving me a giant bottle of St. Germain.

Hail to the Chief and the Monarch. Long may they live. 


  • 1 1/2 oz gin
  • 3/4 oz St. Germain elderflower liqueur
  • 1/2 oz lemon juice
  • 1/2 oz simple syrup
Ice in a shaker; shakey, shakey, shakey. Lemon peel around the rim and twisted in the glass.
Simple and refreshing.  Need I say, use quality gin. 


Here's the actual Monarch Cocktail recipe, courtesy of Chris Paciorek.

No comments:

Post a Comment