Sunday, June 1, 2014

The soul should always stand ajar


I can easily say that 90% of my work is experimental or an exercise in technique or a somewhat- successful investigation into an idea or technique, but rarely, at least for me, do I totally love what I make. And that's not really my goal. The process is far more important to me than the end result. I never ever begin with an idea in mind. Just a vague idea and then it just becomes something.

But this piece to me took 25 years to paint. In reality, it took a month or so. It embodies all of the
self-learning and art retreats and online classes and readings that I've done over the course of 25 or more years. Although I majored in Art in college, I never learned a thing. I really began learning on my own slowly and steadily over the years with many different avenues of expression; jewelry making, stamping, painting, etc.


Basically every mixed-media technique shows up here in some way or another.


I made the floral headpiece for my girl. I owe a debt to Corie Dantini and the wonderful book Craft-a-Doodle; it influenced how I painted her face. I also made the constellations stencil.


No comments:

Post a Comment